Jump to Recipe
This is a highly-modified version of the black beans that Braulio used to make for Mickey’s brunch when he had time. Being the frugal Mexican that he is, he would use dried beans, soaked overnight, and twice-cooked them; his were also vegan. I use canned beans and chicken broth. Those are the biggest differences between his and mine.
I don’t have a long, drawn out post to make about these. But, I do miss my friend since he moved to Beloit to help take care of his mother-in-law.
Almost Braulio’s Black Beans
The tastiest black beans that I know how to make. Use them as a side with breakfast eggs, inside a burrito, or by themselves for lunch. I won't judge.
- 1 14.5 oz. can black beans rinsed
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp broth chicken or veggie
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Heat sauce pan over medium and add tomato paste and broth. Stir to dissolve the paste.
- Add beans, green chiles, cumin, oil, and garlic. Stir.
- Stir in salt and pepper, to taste. Leave on stove for about 15 minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!